Almond Streusel Coffee Cake
A delicious coffee cake with the streusel topping reveled throughout.
Yield: One 13x9-inch coffee cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 4½ tsp (2 packages) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped slivered almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. In saucepan or microwave-safe dish, heat water, milk and butter to 120-130°F (butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Spread in a greased 13x9-inch pan.
- Prepare Topping: Combine all ingredients; mix well. Sprinkle topping over batter. With back of a spoon, make random indentations in dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
- This recipe is featured at Miss In The Kitchen.
You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) in place of Active Dry Yeast in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to rise faster - about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.