Whole Wheat Cranberry Walnut Bread
100% whole wheat bread studded with cranberries and walnuts in every bite. It's vegan, too!
Yield: 1 loaf
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) RED STAR Platinum Yeast
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 Tbsp dried orange peel
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- (1) Warm the water, milk, and sugar to lukewarm (110-115°F). Add the yeast and let it sit until it's nice and foamy, about 5-10 minutes. While that's happening you can chop your walnuts and get the rest of the ingredients ready.
- (2) Add the yeast mixture, oil, and molasses to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the flour, gluten, salt, and orange peel. Mix for 2-3 minutes then add the cranberries and nuts. Keep kneading for about 5 more minutes.
- (3) Once the dough has come together take it out of the bowl and knead with your hands until the dough is nice and elastic. Form it into a ball then place in an oiled bowl. Place the bowl, covered with a dish towel or plastic wrap, into a warm place to rise until the dough has doubled, between 1-2 hours.
- (4) Take dough out of bowl and knead a few times. Form it into a round loaf and place in a greased Dutch oven. Cover, and let rise for about 40 minutes until it's doubled in size. Bake in a 375°F oven with the lid on for 20-30 minutes. Take the lid off and bake for 5-10 more minutes or until it's golden brown.
- (5) Set bread on wire rack to cool. Slice and enjoy!
- Recipe created by The Yooper Girl.
You can also shape the dough into a loaf. Bake in a 9x5-inch pan uncovered for 25-30 minutes.