Sourdough Sandwich Rolls
These rolls are an excellent choice for burgers or sandwiches.
This recipe makes 8 rolls
This recipe makes 8 rolls
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- 3 cup Bread Flour
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter
- 1+1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 2+1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- Recipe featured at Thyme In Our Kitchen.
- Click here for Sourdough Starter recipe.
Bread Machine Method
- Have water and oil at 80º F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. If making ROLLS: Select dough/ manual cycle for rolls. Do not use delay timer. Take out dough when cycle is finished. Follow Shaping, Rising and Baking section below. If making BREAD: Select basic cycle and medium crust. Do not use the delay timer. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool.
- Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Combine water and oil; heat to 120º to 130ºF.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and beat 1 minute. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and beat 1 minute. Gradually add flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Food Processor Method
- Put sourdough starter and dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add egg and liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Shaping, Rising and Baking
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 8 pieces. On lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place on greased cookie sheet. Flatten to a 4-inch diameter. Cover; let rise until indentations remains after touching. With sharp knife, make an “X” on the top of each roll. (If desired, brush with GLAZE: Combine 1 egg and 1 TBSP water. Brush tops of rolls.) Bake in preheated 400º F oven 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.