This recipe makes 3 loaves
- 3 cups (750 mL) tap water at 110°-115°F
- 1 TBSP (15 mL) sugar
- 6+3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast (or 3 pkg / 45 mL)
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1+1/2 cups (375 mL) dark rye flour
- 4 cups (1L) bread flour
- Mix in a large bowl water and sugar. Stir in Yeast. Stir until no lumps remain, then add the whole wheat flour, salt and dark rye flour. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in 3 cups (750 mL) of bread flour. Gradually work in as much of the remaining cup of flour as needed, working it in with your hands, pressing flour into dough and turning dough over.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Sprinkle top of dough with ¼ cup (60 mL) bread flour and punch down. Place on floured counter. Flatten out with hands to a square 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick. Cut in three equal pieces, keeping each piece well floured.
- Oil three 9 x 5 x 2-inch (22.5 x 12 x 5 cm) loaf pans. Roll each section jelly roll fashion. Seal edges. Place seam side down in each bread pan. Let rise covered until indentation remains after touching.
- Baked in a preheated, 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 minutes. Turn oven down to 350°F (180°C). Bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from pans to racks.