Parmesan Pesto Skillet Rolls
These Parmesan pesto skillet rolls are soft, tender and fluffy, and filled and topped with cheese and pesto. They're perfect to bake and serve as a savory side dish or on their own!
Yield: 12 rolls
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110-115°F)
- ½ cup warm milk (110-115°F)
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp pesto, divided
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 5 ounces shredded Asiago cheese
- chopped fresh basil leaves, for topping
- (1) In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast and warm water. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes until yeast dissolves.
- (2) Meanwhile, in a separate large bowl, whisk warm milk, 2 Tbsp pesto, sugar, 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt and egg until combined.
- (3) Add pesto mixture to yeast mixture; stir to combine. Add 3 cups flour and Parmesan cheese; stir until a dough forms.
- (4) Use dough hook on low speed to knead dough 8 to 10 minutes, adding just enough of remaining flour 1 Tbsp at a time until a smooth, soft and only slightly sticky dough forms (it should pull away from sides of bowl) OR, knead dough by hand on a floured surface 10 to 12 minutes, adding just enough of remaining flour 1 Tbsp at a time until a smooth, soft and only slightly sticky dough forms (it should no longer stick to your hands like gum).
- (5) Shape dough into a ball and place in a large bowl (the stand mixer bowl is fine); cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1½ hours until doubled.
- (6) Meanwhile, brush bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Heat oven to 350°F.
- (7) Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then space evenly in oiled skillet. Sprinkle shredded Asiago cheese between rolls, then spoon remaining ¼ cup pesto between rolls. Brush tops of rolls with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover skillet with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes until rolls are puffy and nearly doubled.
- (8) Uncover rolls and bake 30 minutes until tops of rolls are golden brown. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil. Serve warm.
- Recipe created by Girl Versus Dough.