Nutty Honey Rolls
Flavored with vanilla and cinnamon and sweetened with honey, these honey rolls will be a new favorite treat. Brush them with honey and sprinkle chopped nuts of top for a little crunch.
Yield: 10 rolls
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2¼ tsp (one package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1½ tsp salt
- ~1/3 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, to brush the rolls
- Honey and chopped nuts to sprinkle over the rolls
- In a small bowl add 1 cup of flour. Make a well in the middle and pour in the half a cup of lukewarm milk (110-115°F). Sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar over the milk. Give the yeast a gentle stir and leave it for 5-10 minutes until bubbles appear at the surface and it slightly increases in volume.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining flour, melted butter, honey, egg, salt, vanilla extract and cinnamon to a mixing bowl. Pour the proofed yeast with the 1 cup of flour in with the mixing bowl ingredients.
- Fit your mixer with the dough hook. Start kneading the dough, slowly adding the remaining ⅓ cup milk until you have a soft elastic, dough that cleans itself for the sides of the bowl.
- If needed add more milk.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place it in an oiled bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and let it rest until doubled in volume. The dough, being enriched with butter, egg and honey, will take a little longer to double in size (about 2 hours).
- Once doubled in volume, turn dough out from the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 10 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and shape it into an 8 or an infinite sign. You can also braid it or shape it into a coil.
- Place the shaped rolls onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Cover with a tea towel again and let rest for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Just before baking, brush the rolls with the beaten egg. Bake the rolls, one sheet at a time for 16-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let slightly cool. While still warm, brush the rolls with honey and sprinkle chopped nuts over them.
- Recipe created by A Treats Affair.