Lemon Sweet Roll Twists
Fresh and sweet, these lemon sweet roll twist are perfect for any occasion. The dough is light with a filling that is full of creamy lemon flavor.
Yield: 24 small rolls
- 1 C warm milk (110-115°F)
- 1 pkg Red Star Yeast Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ C sugar
- ½ t salt
- 1 egg
- ⅓ C canola oil
- 3½ C bread flour
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ C granulated sugar
- 2 T lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 ¼ C powdered sugar
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 T milk
- Optional - raspberries or blueberries for garnish
- Recipe created by Petit Foodie.
- (1) Combine milk, yeast and teaspoon of sugar in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- (2) Add in egg, oil, salt, sugar, stirring with wooden spoon or dough whisk.
- (3) Slowly add in 1 cup of flour at a time (3 cups total) – keep ½ C flour for dusting the counter.
- (4) Take dough out of bowl and knead on floured counter until a smooth ball forms.
- (5) Place in a warm area covered with a clean tea towel until doubled in size, about one hour.
- (6) While dough is rising, prepare Filling: Using mixer combine cream cheese, lemon juice, zest and sugar until smooth. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- (7) Once dough has doubled in size roll out on a well-floured surface to a 18x24-inch rectangle.
- (8) Spread lemon cream cheese mixture on dough leaving a ½-1 inch border.
- (9) Using pizza cutter cut dough into 1 inch strands. Then cut the rectangle in half horizontally.
- (10) Cut each strand carefully in half only ¾ of the way up the strand. Carefully braid each strand – work quickly so the filling stays in place. Bring two ends together to form a ring and pinch firmly.
- (11) Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let sit in warm area for 30 minutes.
- (12) Preheat oven to 350°F.
- (13) Bake rolls for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- (14) While rolls are baking mix together the Glaze ingredients.
- (15) Remove rolls from oven and let cool.
- (16) Once cooled drizzle glaze on top.
- (17) Garnish with berries if desired.
- (18) Serve immediately.
- (19) Place leftovers in the fridge and reheat, as desired.