Lemon Crunch Coffee Cake
A Tender yeast cake with a super topping - crunchy and lemony!
Yield: One 9-inch coffee cake
For the dough:
- 1½ to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp shortening or coconut oil
- 1 egg
For the topping:
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tsp lemon rind (additional for garnish, optional)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Recipe featured at Yesterfood.
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1¼ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. In saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat buttermilk, water and shortening/oil until warm (120-130°F; shortening/oil doesn't need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Cover; let rest 5 minutes.
- Prepare topping: Combine all topping ingredients; set aside.
- Press dough in a greased 9-inch square cake pan. Sprinkle topping over dough. With back of spoon, make random indentations in dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature. Optional: garnish with additional lemon zest.