Easter Egg Ring
This recipe makes 1 ring (about 12 servings)
- ¾ cup Milk
- 2 Eggs, large
- ¼ cup Butter or margarine, cut up
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3+1/4 cups Bread Flour
- 3 TBSP Sugar
- ½ tsp Grated orange zest
- 2 tsp Bread Machine Yeast
- ¼ cup Chopped dried or candied pineapple
- ¼ cup Raisins
- ¼ cup Slivered almonds
- 6 Whole uncooked eggs
- ½ cup Icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp Water
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- In bread machine pan add milk, eggs, butter, salt, flour, sugar and zest to machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from pan to a lightly floured surface. Knead in pineapple, raisins and almonds, plus enough flour (if necessary) to make dough easy to handle. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each piece into a 26-inch long rope and twist together. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Bring ends together to form a ring, pinching ends to seal. Gently pull twisted ropes apart to tuck 6 whole uncooked eggs into openings, placing eggs evenly around ring. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until done, covering with foil after 20 minutes to prevent excess browning. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- Glaze: In small bowl, combine all ingredients. Drizzle over ring.