Classic Rich Bread
A rich white bread - perfect to accompany a meal, to serve toasted for breakfast or to use for French toast.
Yield: 3 loaves
- 8 to 8½ cups bread flour
- 4½ tsp (2 packages) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup butter
- 4 eggs
- In large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt; mix well. In saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat milk, water, and butter until very warm (120º to 130ºF; butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe, about 1½ hours.
- Punch down dough. Divide into 3 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat each third into a 14 x 7- inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8 x 4- inch bread pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly touching, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 375ºF. Bake at 375ºF for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Take A Megabite.