A simplified version of the popular cinnamon roll. Spread dough with sugar-cinnamon mixture, cut into strips and twist.
Yield: 12 twists
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3½ cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4½ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup Pecans, chopped
- 2 TBSP Butter, melted
- This recipe is featured at Fake Ginger.
- Preheat Oven to 375ºF
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, ⅓ cup sugar, and salt; mix well. Heat milk, water and ⅓ cup butter until very warm (120°-130º F; butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- PREPARE FILLING: Combine ⅓ cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface roll dough to a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with nuts; press into dough. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over dough. Cut dough in half crosswise. Cut each half into 6 strips, 2 inches wide. Twist each strip 2 or 3 times with cinnamon side out. Place twists in greased 13 x 9-inch cake pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching. Bake at 375ºF for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.