Cinnamon Swirl Bread
A nutty sugar-cinnamon filling swirled in rich bread loaves-extra good toasted!
Yield: 2 loaves
- 5 to 5½ cups bread flour, divided
- 4½ tsp (two packages) RED STAR Platinum Yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. In saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until warm (120°-130°F; butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Prepare Filling: Combine brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch down dough. Divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat each half to a 14 x 7- inch rectangle. Brush each half with half of melted butter; sprinkle half of Filling over each dough. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5- or 8 x 4- inch bread pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly touching. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’.
Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at One Sweet Mess.