Cinnamon Roll Liege Waffles
A rich, buttery waffle with a sweet, crisp caramelized exterior served cinnamon roll style with a sweet cinnamon butter and a pretty icing drizzle.
Yield: 8 waffles
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2¼ tsp (one package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk, warmed to 120°-130°F
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 8 oz package Belgian Pearl Sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 or 2 Tbsp milk
- Make cinnamon butter and icing and set aside. (See below)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, and salt. Add milk, butter, and honey to flour mixture. Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Mix the eggs in one at a time until well blended. Mix in vanilla.
- Switch to the dough hook and gradually mix in remaining flour to make a soft, slightly sticky dough, add more or less flour as necessary.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest on the counter overnight.
- The next morning, punch down the dough and knead in the pearl sugar. Divide dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece in to a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let pieces rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron on medium heat (about 3.5). Brush waffle iron with melted butter and cook one waffle at a time until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Cinnamon Butter: In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar, corn syrup, and cinnamon. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Icing: In a mixing bowl, beat powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Spread each waffle when it’s hot with Cinnamon Honey Butter and a drizzle of icing.
- Recipe created by Barbara Bakes.