Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cake Muffins
An amazing treat for breakfast, brunch or snacking.
Yield: 12 muffins
For the muffins:
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) RED STAR Platinum Yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk (120-130°F)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
For the streusel topping:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- (1) Line 12 muffin tins and set aside.
- (2) Add flour, yeast, sugar, salt and cinnamon into a mixer bowl fitted with a paddle. MIx on low speed until well combined. Add buttermilk, melted butter and egg and mix on medium speed until well combined. Fold in chocolate chunks and walnuts. Spoon into lined muffin tin.
- (3) Mix together all of the streusel topping ingredients until crumbled. Sprinkle over muffin batter.
- (4) Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- (5) Preheat oven to 375°F.
- (6) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- (7) Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- (8) Best served at room temperature.
- Recipe created by Miss in the Kitchen.