Cheesy Crust Pizza
This thick and chewy homemade pizza crust is perfect for pizza night!
Yield: Two 12-inch pizzas
- 1 cup water
- 2¼ cup bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2¼ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
Pizza Sauce and Toppings
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Recipe featured at Layers of Happiness.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; mix well. Add water (120 -130°F) to flour mixture. Mix by hand until almost smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface 2 to 3 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover dough; let rest 15 minutes.
- In large fry pan, lightly brown sausage; drain. Add onion, cumin and fennel seeds. Cook until onion is soft; set aside. Combine tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Divide dough into 2 parts. With well-floured or greased fingers, press each half into greased 12-inch pizza pan, forming a rim around edge. Spread half of sauce over dough. Spoon half of sausage mixture evenly over sauce. Sprinkle cheeses on top. Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes until edge is crisp and golden brown and cheeses are melted. Serve immediately.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.