Cheesy Crust Pizza
This thick and chewy homemade pizza crust is perfect for pizza night!
Yield: Two 12-inch pizzas
For the dough:
- 2¼ cups bread flour, divided
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup water (120 -130°F)
For the pizza sauce and toppings:
- 1-lb pork sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In medium mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; mix well. Add warm water to flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon or dough whisk until almost smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface 2 to 3 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover dough; let rest 15 minutes.
- In large fry pan, lightly brown sausage; drain. Add onion, cumin and fennel seeds. Cook until onion is soft; set aside. Combine tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Divide dough into 2 parts. With well-floured or greased fingers, press each half into greased 12-inch pizza pan, forming a rim around edge. Spread half of sauce over dough. Spoon half of sausage mixture evenly over sauce. Sprinkle cheeses on top. Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes until edge is crisp and golden brown and cheeses are melted. Serve immediately.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.