Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls
Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls are a delicious twist on a classic breakfast treat. Loaded with actual carrot cake mix, rum soaked raisins, and slathered in cream cheese frosting these cinnamon rolls will be sure to get your morning started off right.
Yield: 7 cinnamon rolls
For the dough:
- 2 cups plus 3 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 cup plus 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
For the filling:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup carrot cake flavored cake mix (without the carrot and raisin pack)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ raisins (optional)
- ½ cup warm rum (optional and in use with raisins)
For the frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- For the rolls:
- Place 2 cups of milk in a saucepan over medium heat and bring just to a boil. Combine 6 Tbsp of the sugar, the salt, and the butter in a large bowl, pour the hot milk over it, and let cool to 110-115°F. In a small bowl, mix together the egg and yeast. Add to the cooled milk mixture, and mix well. Add the flour and mix until the dough is soft. Transfer the dough to a well-floured board and knead until very smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. You may also use your stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment. Place the dough in a large, well-greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Grease a 9X13 inch pan; set aside. Place the raisins (if using) into the warmed rum and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain the raisins and set aside. You can discard the rum or drink it as a shot. 🙂
- Punch the dough down, place on a well-floured board, and knead in the chopped carrot pieces. Do your best to evenly distribute them. Roll dough out into a 10x14-inch rectangle and brush it with the melted butter. Combine the cake mix and cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the butter. Evenly distribute the rum soaked raisins if using.
- Starting at one of the long sides, roll the dough up, and pinch the seam well to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut the dough into 2 inch thick slices, and then place them in the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise one more time, until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. When the rolls have risen, bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes. While rolls are cooling, prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- For the Frosting:
- Using your stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat together the butter and cream cheese about three minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Once cooled, frost cinnamon rolls.
- Recipe created by Sweet Recipeas.