Apple Cranberry Bread
A perfect accompaniment for a holiday dinner or a chicken salad luncheon.
Yield: 1 loaf
- 2¼ tsp (one packet) Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp mace
- ½ cup water
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (1 medium apple) - apple, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh, chopped
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- This recipe is featured at Completely Delicious.
- In mixing bowl, combine yeast, 1½ cups flour and next 5 ingredients; mix well. Heat water and butter to 120°-130°F; add to dry mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; add egg and beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in apples, cranberries and pecans. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch bread pan. Cover; let rise until an indentation remains when side of loaf is lightly touched. Bake at 350°F for 40-to 45 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.