100% Whole Wheat Bread
A classic whole wheat bread; slice thick to enjoy with soup or thin for sandwiches.
Yield: 2 loaves
- 3 cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup molasses
- 8 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp salt
- 4½ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- This recipe is featured at Completely Delicious.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 3½ cups flour, yeast, and salt; mix well. Combine water, molasses, and oil; heat to 120º to 130ºF. Add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until dough tests ripe.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat each half to a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8½ x 4½ -inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375º F oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 180 Total Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 390mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg