Little Pigs in Blankets
Gather the family together to make this hearty meat and bread lover’s finger snack. Small, medium and large hands can shape dough into “blankets” that are rolled around tiny sausages and baked. As a hearty snack, kids and adults love them plain or served with their favorite mustard. Served with a simple soup or salad, it rounds out a meal.
What You’ll Need
- Bread machine or a large mixing bowl and a large mixing spoon
- Dry measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Thermometer to measure liquid temperature
- Large spoon
- Table knife
- Microwave container (if using the large mixing bowl and spoon)
- Baking sheet
- Flat wide spatula
Ingredients for 48 snacks
1 cup Water
1/3 cup Vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
3-1/4 cups Bread Flour or All-Purpose Flour
2-1/4 teaspoons (or one 1/4-ounce packet) Active Dry Yeast
Small smoked sausages, your favorite variety 1 pound (approximately 48)
What to Do
Using a Bread Machine
- Make sure water is at 80°F, and all other ingredients are room temperature.
- Place the liquid measuring cup on a level surface so that the measuring lines can be read at eye level.
- Measure water and pour it into the bread pan.
- Measure oil and add to water in the bread pan.
- Select the one and the one-fourth dry measuring cups. To measure flour, first stir the flour to loosen it and then spoon it into the dry measuring cup. Level off with the flat side of a table knife. Add to ingredients in the bread pan.
- Measure the sugar and salt and add to ingredients on top of the flour.
- Add the yeast, making sure it does not touch the salt or sugar.
- Select the Dough / Manual setting and start the machine.
- At the end of the kneading cycle, press STOP/CLEAR; remove dough and proceed with rising, shaping, and baking instructions.
Using a Large Bowl and a Large Mixing Spoon
- Place liquid measuring cup on a level surface so that the measuring lines can be read at eye level.
- Measure water and then oil and place them in a container that can be placed in the microwave.
- In microwave, heat water and oil to 120°-130°F.
- Select the one and the one-fourth dry measuring cups. To measure flour, first stir the flour to loosen it and then spoon it into the dry measuring cup. Level off with the flat side of a table knife.
- Measure only 1 cup of the flour and all the other dry ingredients and place them in the large mixing bowl.
- Add warmed water and oil mixture.
- Mix together the dry and liquid ingredients with a large mixing spoon. Stir rapidly for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough.
- Remove dough from bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
- By hand, knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Lightly grease bowl and return dough to it; turn to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until indentation made with finger remains, about 45 minutes.
Shaping and Baking
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to release gases.
- Divide dough in half; cover one section with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
- Divide remaining half into 4 parts, then divide each fourth into 6 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball, then roll or pat each ball into a 2-inch circle.
- Place a sausage link at edge of circle; roll dough and sausage together; pinch seam. Place seam-side down on lightly greased baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Do not allow dough to rise again before baking.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat shaping with remaining dough.
- Use oven mitts to remove pan from oven.
- Take snacks off of baking sheet with a wide flat spatula; serve warm.
To shape, refrigerate and bake Little Pigs in Blankets the next day, cover filled baking sheet tightly with lightly oiled or non-stick-sprayed plastic wrap; refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake at 400°F for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.