White Sandwich Bread
Here's the perfect white bread recipe for the people who love homemade bread.
Yield: 1 loaf
Medium loaf (1½ lb. bread machine)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Large loaf (2 lb. bread machine)
- 1⅓ cups water
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Bread Machine Method
- Have water at 80°F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place into the pan in the order listed. Select a basic cycle and medium/normal crust. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Dry mixture: Combine 1 cup flour and other dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Liquids: Combine water and oil; heat to 120-130°F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Add warm liquids to dry mixture; blend on low speed. Beat 3 to 4 minutes on medium speed. By hand stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Add warm liquids to dry mixture; mix with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Food Processor Method
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Place dry ingredients in processing bowl with steel blade. Process briefly to blend. While motor is running add water and oil. Process until mixed. Continue processing until dough cleans the sides of bowl. Use additional flour if necessary.
Rising, Shaping and Baking
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry yeast. When using Instant yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.