Mrs. Gendville's Cream Cheese Coffeecake
THIS RECIPE MAKES ONE 10X15- INCH CAKE
- 2+1/2 cups Bread Flour
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter or margarine
- 4 Egg yolks
- 4+1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup Water
- two 8 oz. packages Cream cheese
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg, separated
- ½ cup Nuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 to 4 TBSP Water
- Have water at 110°-115°F and all other ingredients at room temperature.
- Measure the first 5 ingredients into a bowl. Mix with pastry blender or fork. Dissolve yeast in the water. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes; stir. Pour into the bowl. Mix well. Refrigerate 2 hours. This is a rich dough - it rises very little. Prepare Filling: mix cheese, sugar, and egg yolk. Beat with spoon or electric mixer until smooth.
- Divide chilled dough in two. Roll out half the dough and press evenly into lightly greased 10 x 15-inch pan (or use one 8-inch and one 9-inch pan). Cover with filling. Divide remaining dough in two parts. Roll each part into a 10x7½ -inch portion. Place over Filling. Beat egg white slightly and brush on top of dough. Add nuts. Let rise in warm place one hour. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in preheated 350°F oven. Let cool slightly, then drizzle Icing over top of cake. Cut in squares to serve. (Cake may be refrigerated several days.)
- *Use Active dry yeast for this recipe. Instant yeast is not recommended for refrigerated dough. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.