Batterway Cheese Puffs
These no knead rolls are light & airy and filled with sharp cheddar cheese and savory spices.
Yield: 2 dozen puffs
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp Instant onion (or 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh)
- 2 Tbsp shortening, soft
- 1 cup shredded Fontinella or cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups water
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 egg
- Black pitted or stuffed green olives, if desired
- Have water at 110°-115°F and all other ingredients at room temperature.
- Measure the first 7 ingredients into a bowl; blend. Set aside. Pour the water into a mixing bowl; add the yeast. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes; stir. Add the egg and ½ of the flour-mixture. Beat 2 minutes with electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand until smooth. STOP MIXER. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat again with a spoon until smooth...1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Scrape down batter from sides of bowl. Cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled...about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease 24 medium-sized muffin cups.
- Beat down raised batter in about 25 strokes. This is a sticky batter. Spoon into muffin cups, filling no more than half full. Place one olive into the center of each cup. Tap pans on table to settle the batter. Let rise until batter reaches tops of cups...15 to 20 minutes. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in preheated 425°F oven. Remove from pans and cool on rack. Brush with butter.
- Note: Any size muffin cups may be used, just so the batter fills the cups only half full.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) Yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to rise about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Bran Appetit.