Whole Wheat Cottage Cheese Rolls
The cottage cheese blends in quickly with the other ingredients, making for light, fluffy rolls.
THIS RECIPE MAKES 24 ROLLS
THIS RECIPE MAKES 24 ROLLS
- ½ cup Water
- 1½ cups Cottage Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 TBSP Butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups Bread Flour
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 TBSP Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- This recipe is featured at Dine and Dish.
- *Baker’s Note: Rolls may be made ahead by baking in a preheated 400º F oven 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool. Wrap tightly and freeze for later use. To serve, thaw, then bake in a preheated 425º F oven 7 minutes.
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Have water and cottage cheese at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select dough/manual cycle. Do not use the delay. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information. When cycle is complete, remove dough and follow directions under the Rising, Shaping and Baking section below.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup bread flour, and other dry ingredients, except whole wheat flour. Combine water and cottage cheese; heat to 120º to 130º F.
Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture, liquid ingredients, and butter in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add eggs; beat 1 minute. By hand, stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional bread flour if necessary. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Stand Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture, liquid ingredients, and butter in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add eggs; beat 1 minute. Gradually add whole wheat flour and remaining bread flour and knead with dough hook 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add butter, eggs, and liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding whole wheat flour and remaining bread flour until dough forms a ball. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
RISING, SHAPING AND BAKING
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 4 parts. Divide each part into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place in two greased 8-inch square pans. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375º F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until tested done. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans and cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry yeast. When using Instant yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 100 Total Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 16g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 270mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 20mg