- 4 cups Frozen unsweetened crushed Strawberries, slightly thawed
- 3 cups Sugar
- 2+1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 envelopes Unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup Water
- Red food coloring, if desired
- Note: You can substitute fresh strawberries, halved and crushed to make 4 cups, for the frozen strawberries.
- Combine berries, sugar and yeast in a glass jar with a loose cover (an apothecary jar is perfect). Stir several times the first day to dissolve sugar and yeast; then stir once a day. Berries may look cloudy. After one week, pour berries into heavy deep saucepan; boil gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon foam from jam. Dissolve gelatin in water and add to berries; mix well. Pour jam into sterilized jars; cool, cover and refrigerate. Jam will be ready in a day. Store in refrigerator up to a month. Serve on toast, pancakes, waffles and even with meat.