Strawberry Almond Bread
Contributed to our Baker's Collection, Strawberry Almond Bread is an excellent tasting and attractive tea bread.
Yield: 1 loaf
Small (1 lb. loaf)
- 2 TBSP water
- 3 TBSP sour cream
- ¾ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP sugar
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 2¼ cups bread flour
- 1½ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
Medium (1½ lb. loaf)
- 5 TBSP water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 TBSP sugar
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2¼ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
Large (2 lb. loaf)
- ¼ cup water
- 5 TBSP sour cream
- 1¼ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 TBSP Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- Recipe featured at Girl Versus Dough.
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Have liquid ingredients at 80°F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order specified in your owner’s manual. Select basic cycle and medium/normal crust. Slivered almonds can be added 5 minutes before the end of the last kneading. Do not use delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients, except almonds. Combine water, sour cream, strawberries and oil; and heat to 120°-130°F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in slivered almonds and enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Add additional flour if necessary. Continue with RISING, SHAPING AND BAKING instructions below.
- Stand Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add slivered almonds and remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Continue with RISING, SHAPING AND BAKING instructions below.
- Food Processor Method: Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Add slivered almonds; pulse just until mixed. Continue with RISING, SHAPING AND BAKING instructions below.
RISING, SHAPING AND BAKING
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14 x 7- inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and taper ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
If more strawberry flavor is desired, substitute strawberry-flavored drink mix for the sugar called for in the recipe.