Sourdough Cracked Wheat Rolls
Simple to make, these sourdough rolls have the added flavor and texture of cracked wheat.
This recipe makes 8 rolls
This recipe makes 8 rolls
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter
- 3 cup Bread Flour
- ⅓ cup Cracked Wheat
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 2+1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
Bread Machine Method
- Have water and oil at 80º F and all other ingredients at room temperature.Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select dough/manual cycle. Do not use the delay. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. When cycle is complete, remove dough and follow directions under the Shaping, Rising and Baking section. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Combine water and oil; heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Food Processor Method
- Put sourdough starter and dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Shaping, Rising and Baking
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 8 pieces. On lightly floured surface, roll each piece to a 6 x 4-inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place on greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise until doubled. With sharp knife, make a lengthwise slash down the center of each roll. Brush with cold water. Bake in preheated 400º F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until brown. Remove from cookie sheet; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.