- ½ cup, plus 3 TBSP Water
- 3 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 4 TBSP Light molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 TBSP Flax seeds
- 2 TBSP Sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups Bread Flour
- 2¼ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ cup, plus 2 TBSP Water
- 4 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 5 TBSP Light molasses
- 2 Eggs
- 1 TBSP, plus 1+1/2 tsp Flax seeds
- 3 TBSP Sesame seeds
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1⅓ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2⅔ cups Bread Flour
- 1 TBSP Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- Recipe featured at The Yooper Girl.
- Baker's Note: Due to the low volume of this loaf, the medium recipe can be used in a small machine.
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Have liquid ingredients at 80°F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order specified in your owner’s manual. Select basic cycle and medium/normal crust. Do not use delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Use ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup bread flour, and other dry ingredients, except whole wheat flour. Combine liquids, except egg, and heat to 120°-130°F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients, except egg, in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. By hand, stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary.
- Stand Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients, except egg, in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. Gradually add whole wheat flour and remaining bread flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Food Processor Method: Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients and egg. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding whole wheat flour and remaining bread flour until dough forms a ball.
RISING, SHAPING AND BAKING
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14 x 7- inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and taper ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.