Fermentation #1 – Ingredients
WHEN FLOUR, SUGAR, WATER AND YEAST ARE MIXED TOGETHER, WHAT IS THE RESULT?
- 2 empty, clean 1-litre soda bottles
- 2 latex balloons
- 2 rubber bands
- glass measuring cup, 1-cup capacity
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- water, room temperature
- 2 packets of Active Dry Yeast (each packet is 1/4 ounce or 2-1/4 tsp)
1. Fill each soda bottle with one 1/4 ounce package of Active Dry Yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 cup of room temperature water.
2. In one soda bottle, add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
3. Secure a balloon on top of each soda bottle with a rubber band.
4. Record and time what happens to the balloon.
OBSERVATIONS & CONCLUSION
1. What happens to the balloons?
2. What is the difference between the two bottles?
3. Does it make a difference in the length of time the fermentation worked between the two bottles, and why?