Scandinavian Rye Bread
Scandinavians have been using rye flour for generations in making their characteristic flat breads and hearty rye loaves. The following recipe makes a wonderfully chewy loaf of bread.
Yield: 1 loaf
Small Loaf (1 lb. bread machine)
- ½ cup, plus 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup Rye Sourdough Starter
- 2 cups bread flour
- ½ cup rye flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1½ tsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Medium Loaf (1½ lb. bread machine)
- ¾ cup Wwter
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup Rye Sourdough Starter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
Large Loaf (2 lb. bread machine)
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ cups Rye Sourdough Starter
- 2½ cups bread flour
- 1½ cups rye flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1Tbsp, plus 1 tsp sugar
- 2½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- Click here for Rye Sourdough Starter recipe.
Bread Machine Method
- Have liquid ingredients at 80°F and all others at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in order listed. Select basic cycle and medium crust. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup bread flour, and other dry ingredients except rye flour. Combine water and oil; heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in rye flour and enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional bread flour if necessary.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add rye flour and remaining bread flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Use additional bread flour if necessary.
- Food Processor Method
- Put sourdough starter and dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding rye flour and remaining bread flour until dough forms a ball. Use additional bread flour if necessary.
Rising, Shaping, and Baking
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Shape into a round loaf and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. With a very sharp knife, make an “X” on the top of loaf. Bake in preheated 375º F oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.