Slightly sweet, with a hint of pumpkin spice, this Pumpkin Challah is the perfect sweet bread to serve this holiday season.
Yield: 4 challah loaves
- 2 packages (4½ tsp, ½oz, 14g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ⅔ cup warm water (110-115°F)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- One 15oz can of pumpkin puree
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 8-10 cups bread flour
- Additional 4 egg yolks to brush finished loaves
- Sesame seeds for topping (optional)
- (1) In a small mixing bowl combine yeast, water and granulated sugar. Give a quick stir, and allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until the yeast becomes nice and foamy.
- (2) Mix yeast mixture together with pumpkin puree, egg yolks, salt, maple syrup, olive oil, pumpkin pie spice and 7 cups of bread flour.
- (3) Add in additional flour ½ cup at a time until the dough is no longer sticky.
- (4) Pour dough out onto a floured surface, and start to knead the dough, adding more flour as needed until the dough is nice and elastic. About 6-8 minutes.
- (5) Place dough into a greased mixing bowl and allow to rise until it has doubled in size, about 15-30 minutes.
- (6) Once dough has doubled. Pour out onto a floured surface again.
- (7) Cut the dough in to 4 equal pieces.
- (8) Pick one piece to start working with, and then cut that into 6 equal pieces.
- (9) Roll each of the 6 pieces into a "snake", they should be about ½ to 1-inch thick.
- (10) Weave the pieces together (3 horizontal, 3 vertical), and then braid the four corners, tucking the ends in creating a round braided loaf. Repeat the weaving/braiding process with the remaining 3 loaves. (See Bakeaholic Mama's post for how-to photos.)
- (11) Place each loaf in a greased baking dish (or glass pie dish).
- (12) Heat oven to 350°F while you set the braided loaves aside to rise until they double in size.
- (13) Once the bread has finished rising, brush each loaf with one egg yolk and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- (14) Bake for about 40 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- (15) Enjoy warm, and share the baked goodness with someone you love!
- Recipe created by Bakeaholic Mama.