One-Hour Pan Rolls Italiano
Plan to serve these rolls hot with your next spaghetti dinner. Excellent flavor!
THIS RECIPE MAKES 16 ROLLS
THIS RECIPE MAKES 16 ROLLS
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Egg
- 4 cup Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4+1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 TBSP Butter, melted
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- This recipe is featured at Yesterfood.
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Have water and milk at 80º F and all other ingredients at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select dough/manual cycle. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information. Allow dough to rise in bread machine for 15 minutes of the rising cycle; remove dough and follow directions under the Shaping, Rising and Baking section below.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour and other dry ingredients. Combine water, milk, and olive oil; heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; turn to oil top and cover. Turn oven to lowest setting for 1 minute; shut off. Place dough in oven to rise for 15 minutes.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a firm dough that cleans sides of bowl. Knead with dough hook(s) 5 minutes until smooth or knead by hand on floured surface 3 to 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; turn to oil top and cover. Turn oven to lowest setting for 1 minute; shut off. Place dough in oven to rise for 15 minutes.
FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD
- Have milk and egg cold. Heat water to 110º - 115º F. Using a 2-cup measure, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. Meanwhile, place dry ingredients in processing bowl with steel blade. Pulse to combine. Add oil, cold milk and egg to warm yeast mixture. With motor running, add combined liquid ingredients. Process until dough ball forms. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; turn to oil top and cover. Turn oven to lowest setting for 1 minute; shut off. Place dough in oven to rise for 15 minutes.
SHAPING, RISING AND BAKING
- Divide dough into 4 parts. Divide each fourth into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Dip tops into melted butter, then in shredded Parmesan cheese. Place in well-greased 13 x 9-inch pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching, about 20 minutes. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans; serve warm or cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.