Julekage (pronounced yoo-ley-key-yeh) is a popular Norwegian Christmas fruit bread filled with candied fruit, golden raisins and cardamom. Glistening sugar and snow-white icing top this special holiday bread.
Yield: 1 round loaf
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup milk, evaporated
- 1 egg, large, room temperature
- ½ cup butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3⅓ cups bread flour
- ½ tsp cardamom, ground
- 2¼ tsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup gGolden raisins
- ¼ cup citron or candied fruit, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- ⅓ cup sugar cube, crushed, or pearl sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp Butter
- ½ tsp Almond extract
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Place room temperature ingredients, except raisins and candied fruit, in pan in order listed.
- Select SWEET setting, LIGHT crust. Do not use delay feature. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 TBSP at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 TBSP of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information. Add raisins and candied fruit 5 minutes before the end of last kneading cycle. Combine egg and milk of Glaze. At end of rising time, before baking begins, open lid; brush top of loaf with Glaze; liberally sprinkle sugar over top. Close lid for baking. Remove from pan; cool on rack. Continue with Icing directions.
- Select DOUGH setting. When cycle is complete, remove dough from pan and continue with Shaping, Rising and Baking directions below.
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, salt and sugar. Heat evaporated milk, water and butter to 120º-130ºF. Butter does not need to melt. Combine dry mixture and milk mixture at low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make firm dough. Knead on lightly floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Punch down to remove air bubbles. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; press flat. Spread candied fruit and raisins across dough. Fold dough; knead fruits evenly throughout dough. Allow dough to relax 10 minutes.
SHAPING, RISING AND BAKING
- Shape into ball; place on greased baking sheet. Press dough to flatten somewhat. Combine egg and milk of Glaze; brush onto dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until indentation remains after touching. Brush again with Glaze; liberally sprinkle sugar over top. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- Combine Icing ingredients (add additional sugar or water to get the desired consistency); drizzle over cooled loaf. For added color, sprinkle candied fruit on top of icing.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Roxana's Home Baking.