Holiday Batter Bread
This Holiday Batter Bread is so easy to make and requires NO kneading! It’s pretty, festive and sure to be a hit at your Christmas table!
Yield: One 9x5-inch loaf or 4 small loaves
- 3 cups bread flour
- 4½ tsp (2 packages) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- ½ cup candied fruits, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp butter or margarine, softened
- 1 to 2 Tbsp hot water or milk (use more or less to achieve desired consistency)
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. In saucepan, heat milk, water and shortening until warm (120-130°F; shortening does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in candied fruits, nuts and remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and double, about 30 minutes.
- Stir down batter. Spoon into one greased 9x5- inch bread pan or four well-greased 20-ounce cans. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double, a out 30 minutes. Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan or cans; cool. Drizzle with Glaze and garnish with additional fruit and nuts, if desired.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) Yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to rise about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- Recipe featured at Food Faith Fitness.