Gluten Free Overnight Yeast Pancakes with Strawberry Topping
Rich, moist, spongy yeasted pancakes with a naturally sweetened strawberry topping. This gluten-free pancake recipe is perfect to make ahead. Simply make the batter at night and enjoy pancakes first thing in the morning!
Yield: 15 medium-sized pancakes
Overnight Yeast Pancakes:
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 2 cups almond milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 16 ounces strawberries, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- Recipe created by The Roasted Root.
- (1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Stir together and allow mixture to sit 5 to 10 minutes. Add the melted butter and almond milk and stir to combine.
- (2) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and sea salt. Pour the flour mixture into the bowl with the yeast/almond milk mixture and mix until all clumps are out. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to sit at room temperature overnight (or at least 4 hours)
- (3) Add the eggs and baking soda to the pancake batter and mix until combined.
- (4) Heat a non-stick skillet to medium and add enough oil or butter to coat the surface. Measure out a scant ¼ cup of pancake batter and pour onto the skillet. Allow batter to cook until many air bubble rise to the surface, and the sides firm up, about 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully flip pancake and allow the other side to cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat for remaining batter
- (5) Prepare the Strawberry Topping: Add all ingredients for the strawberry topping to a medium-sized saucepan. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking, covered, until strawberries have softened, but are still al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- (6) Serve pancakes with butter, strawberry topping and/or pure maple syrup.