Soft on the inside and chewy on the outside, these bagels have a hint of sweet and are full of spice.
Yield: 8-10 bagels
- 3½ cups bread flour
- 2 packages (4½ tsp, ½oz, 14g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110-115°F)
- ¼ cup milk (110-115°F)
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- ½ Tbsp nutmeg
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ Tbsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 egg white
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside until foamy.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, using the dough hook, add in 1½ cups flour, yeast mixture, warm milk, molasses, brown sugar, all of the spices and salt. Mix on medium speed.
- Once combined mix in remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, until the dough comes together in a ball and is only lightly sticky.
- Turn mixer on to med/high and mix until the dough is elastic. When you pull at it, it should bounce back. (Careful during this step. Don't crank it up to 8-9. Slowly go up a notch at a time.)
- Turn dough out into a greased bowl (with baking spray or lightly greased with butter). Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot. Allow dough rise and double in size.
- Punch dough down, and form into 8-10 equal balls.
- Poke a hole in the center of each ball and slightly stretch it out to form a bagel shape.
- Set bagels on a baking sheet, cover with a damp towel and allow to rise again until doubled in size, or until indentation remains after lightly touching with finger.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil and preheat your oven to 415°F.
- Once bagels have finished rising, place 2-3 bagels at a time into the boiling water and boil until they float to the top. Using a slotted spoon, remove bagels from the water.
- Add your cornmeal to a shallow baking dish, and place the bottom of each bagel in the cornmeal and then place bagels on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush each bagel top with egg white.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Recipe created by Bakeaholic Mama.