Easter Egg Bread Ring
Yield: 1 bread ring (about 12 servings)
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 eggs, large, slightly whisked
- 3¼ cups bread flour
- 1 package (2¼ tsp, ¼oz, 7g) RED STAR Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
- ½ tsp grated orange zest
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup chopped dried or candied pineapple
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 6 whole uncooked eggs, dyed*
For the glaze:
- ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp water
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Bread Machine Method: Have liquid ingredients at 80ºF and all others at room temperature. In bread machine pan add milk, eggs, butter (cut into very small pieces), flour, yeast, orange zest, sugar and salt to machine according to manufacturer's directions. Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is done mixing, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in pineapple, raisins and almonds. Continue kneading, about 5-7 minutes, using additional flour (if necessary) to make dough easy to handle . Let rest 10 minutes. Continue with shaping directions below.
- Hand-Kneading Method: In large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, orange zest, sugar and salt; mix well. In microwave-safe dish, warm milk and butter to 120-130°F (butter does not need to melt). Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Add eggs. Stir together until combined. Mix in enough of remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in pineapple, raisins and almonds. Continue kneading, about 5-7 minutes, using additional flour (if necessary) to make dough easy to handle . Let rest 10 minutes. Continue with shaping directions below.
- Shaping: Divide dough in half. Roll each piece into a 26-inch long rope and twist together. Transfer to greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bring ends together to form a ring, pinching ends to seal. Gently pull twisted ropes apart to tuck 6 whole uncooked eggs into openings, placing eggs evenly around ring. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until done, covering with foil after 20 minutes to prevent excess browning. Carefully remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.
- Glaze: In small bowl, combine all ingredients. Add more/less icing sugar to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over ring.
*Bright colors work best, but you can personalize the eggs with your favorite colors/designs. Be sure dyed eggs are completely dry before laying them on the dough.