Cracked Wheat Bread
The nutritional buzz word for better health is fiber. Besides adding flavor and texture to bread, cracked wheat also adds incredible nutritional value.
Yield: One loaf
Small (1 lb bread machine)
- ¾ cup, plus 2 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP, plus 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2¼ cup bread flour
- ½ cup cracked wheat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP, plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
Medium (1½ lb bread machine)
- 1¼ cup, plus 1 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 3 cup bread flour
- ¾ cup cracked wheat
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 2¼ tsp Red Star Active Dry Yeast
Large (2 lb bread machine)
- 1¾ cup water
- 2 TBSP, plus 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 cup bread flour
- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP, plus 2 tsp sugar
- 1 TBSP Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- This recipe is featured at Girl Versus Dough.
- *Baker’s Note: Bring water to a boil. Place cracked wheat in small mixing bowl and pour water over it; stir. Before using, cool to 80º F for bread machine method OR 120º - 130º F for mixer methods.
BREAD MACHINE METHOD
- Have cracked wheat mixture at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select basic cycle and medium/ normal crust. Do not use the delay timer. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf, combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture with cracked wheat mixture and vegetable oil in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional flour if necessary. Proceed to RISING, SHAPING & BAKING below.
- Stand Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture with cracked wheat mixture and vegetable oil in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth. Proceed to RISING, SHAPING & BAKING below.
FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While motor is running, add with cracked wheat mixture and vegetable oil. Process until mixed. Continue processing, adding remaining flour until dough forms a ball. Proceed to RISING, SHAPING & BAKING below.
RISING, SHAPING, AND BAKING
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Roll or pat into a 14x7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9x5- inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
Serving size: 1 Slice Calories: 190 Total Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 35g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 290mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg