Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread
Swirls of cinnamon and raisins make this bread irresistible!
Yield: 2 loaves
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 egs
- ½ cup butter
- 5 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 4½ tsp (2 packages) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2½ cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt; mix well. Heat milk, water, and butter until to 120º to 130ºF; butter does not need to melt. Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe, about 1 hour.
- Prepare Filling: Combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch down dough. Divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat each half to a 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Brush with 1 TBSP melted butter to within 1 inch of edges; sprinkle half of cinnamon mixture and ½ cup raisins over buttered dough. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch bread pans. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly touching side of loaf, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350ºF for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information on baking.
- This recipe was featured on Cake Duchess.