Each slice of this loaf reveals a savory spiral of cheese and herbs.
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2¼ tsp (one package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2½ cups bread flour
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
Filling and Topping
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 5 oz smoked Gruyere cheese, cubed
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Olive oil
- In large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in warm water (110°-115°F). Stir in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy. Whisk in 1 cup flour, oil and salt; beat until smooth.
- Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in enough of remaining flour to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for 7-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Punch down dough; cover with tea towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 16- x 12-inch rectangle. Evenly sprinkle oregano, basil, garlic and cheeses over top, leaving 1-inch border around edges. Starting from long side, roll up into cylinder; pinch along edges and end to seal. Place onto lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until indentation remains after touching.
- Remove plastic; lightly brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and rosemary.
- Bake in center of 375°F oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on bottom. Let cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on rack.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
- Recipe featured at Fake Ginger.