Caramel Apple Cinnamon Sweet Rolls
Buttery caramel sauce and tender chunks of fresh apples rolled between layers of sweet bread.
Yield: 12 rolls
Caramel Apple Filling
- 5 apples
- 10 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 package (2¼ tsp) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp brown butter (*see below)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup toasted pecans (**see below)
- Caramel Apple Filling:
- (1) Peel, core, and chop the apples into ½-inch chunks.
- (2) Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the apples to a bowl and set aside.
- (3) Add the remaining butter, brown sugar, and honey to the pan. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and continue to cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Bring the mixture back to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
- (4) Stir in the apples. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Transfer the mixture to a heat-proof container. Cover and place in the refrigerator until the mixture is completely cool. When you're ready to use the caramel, give it a good stir.
- (5) In a large pot over medium-low heat, whisk together milk, sugar, and oil. Using an instant read thermometer, heat the milk to 120°F. Stir the yeast into the warm milk mixture. Stir in 3½ cups of flour. Take off the heat. Cover the pot with a towel and allow to rest, undisturbed, for 1 hour.
- (6) Add the remaining 1 cup of flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the mixture. Stir until combined. Place the lid on the pot and refrigerate the dough until it is completely cool (the dough is easier to handle if it is refrigerated), at least 4 hours or overnight.
- (7) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish, or two 8-inch pie plates or round cake pans.
- (8) Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 24 inches long and 10 inches wide.
- (9) Brush the dough with 4 tablespoons of brown butter*.Drizzle 2 cups of the caramel sauce over the dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar and toasted pecans** over the caramel sauce.
- (10) Starting at the short side furthest from you, roll the dough toward you, until it resembles a log. Pinch to seal. Turn the dough over so the seal faces the work surface. Slice into 2-inch thick rolls and place in the baking dish cut side down.
- (11) Cover the baking dish with a towel and allow to rise for 15 minutes. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown in color. If rolls are browning too much, lightly cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking.
- (12) Allow the rolls to cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle the remaining caramel sauce over the warm rolls.
- *Brown Butter: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Continue to cook the butter, swirling the pan occasionally for even cooking, until the butter is a dark golden brown color and smells nutty. Allow the butter to cool to room temperature before using.
- **Toasted Pecans: Heat pecans in a dry sauté pan over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, flipping often, until golden brown and give off a rich, nutty fragrance. Remove from the pan and allow to cool before chopping.
- Recipe created by One Sweet Mess.