Brown Butter Hazelnut Doughnuts
These baked brown butter doughnuts are dipped in Frangelico glaze and topped with candied hazelnuts for a dream holiday breakfast!
Yield: 14 doughnuts
- ¾ cup (168 g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (180 g) lukewarm buttermilk
- 2¼ tsp (one package) RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten (at room temperature)
- ½ cup (100 g) light brown sugar
- 3¼ cups (455 g) flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- ½ cup (64 g) hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp Frangelico (hazelnut liquor)
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it
- foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned
- butter into a large mixing bowl and cool to room temperature. Whisk together
- brown butter, buttermilk, yeast, salt, eggs, and brown sugar until combined. Add
- flour and mix in with a wooden spoon or dough whisk until incorporated. Cover
- bowl with plastic and let rest at room temperature for two hours, then chill in the
- refrigerator for at least three hours or up to five days.
- When ready to bake, line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and
- flour board or counter well. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out
- onto board. Dust dough with flour and use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll dough
- into a ½-inch thick rectangle. Use a floured 3-inch cutter to form 14 rounds; cut
- out the center of each round with a floured 1½-inch cutter. Place doughnuts on
- prepared baking sheets and let rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- While the dough rests, make the candied hazelnuts. Preheat oven to 350°F and
- line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together sugar and hot
- water in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add hazelnuts and turbinado sugar;
- toss to coat. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and
- bake until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool, then chop with a sharp knife.
- Bake doughnuts for 18 minutes, until golden. Place on a wire rack to cool for 5
- minutes. For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, salt,
- Frangelico, and milk until smooth. Set rack with doughnuts over a piece of wax
- paper. Dip doughnut tops into glaze, sprinkle with candied hazelnuts, and let set
- on rack before serving.
- Recipe created by Tutti Dolci.