Brioche Doughnuts with Blackberry Jam Filling
Tender, fluffy and filled with blackberry jam, these easy and delicious brioche doughnuts are sure to become your new favorite breakfast treat!
Yield: 10 to 12 doughnuts
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup nonfat dry milk
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp (1⅓ packages) RED STAR Quick Rise Yeast
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup warm water (about 120-130°F )
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup seedless blackberry jam
- Powdered sugar, for topping
- In large bowl or bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment, stir 2¾ cups flour, nonfat dry milk, sugar, salt and yeast until combined. Add eggs, egg yolk, warm water and butter. Stir just until dough forms.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough by hand 10 to 15 minutes, adding just enough of remaining ¼ cup flour until dough is soft, smooth and elastic; OR, knead dough in stand mixer with dough hook on low speed 10 minutes, adding just enough of remaining ¼ cup flour until dough is soft, smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into ball. Place in large lightly greased bowl; turn once to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise 1 hour in warm place. Transfer to fridge and chill 8 hours or overnight (no longer than 12 hours).
- Punch down risen dough. On lightly floured surface, press dough into ½-inch thick circle. Use 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut dough into doughnuts (you may re-press the scraps once to cut more doughnuts). Place doughnuts on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover with towel and let rise 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 inches oil in large saucepan over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 350°F. When doughnuts are fully risen, use slotted spoon to drop 2 to 3 into hot oil. Fry on both sides until deep golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- Use #230 round decorating dip to pipe blackberry jam filling into doughnuts. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Recipe created by Girl Versus Dough.