Large loaf (1-1/2 lb./ 3 cup or 2 lb./ 4 cup machine)
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter or margarine, cut up
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3+1/4 cups (800 mL) Bread flour
- 2 TBSP (25 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Bread Machine Yeast
- 2 tsp (10 mL) oil
- 1+1/2 cups (375 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 red pepper, seeded, cored and finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 TBSP (15 mL) water
- Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- In bread machine pan add milk, eggs, butter, salt, flour, sugar and Bread Machine Yeast to machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, let dough rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, add oil, onion, pepper and rosemary and cook 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- Remove dough to lightly floured surface and roll into a 16 x 12-inch (40 x 30 cm) rectangle. Cut into three 16 x 4-inch (40 x 10 cm) strips. Combine egg yolk and water; brush some of the mixture around the edges of each dough strip. Spread each strip with a third of the onion mixture to within ½-inch (1.25 cm) of each edge. Fold each strip in half lengthwise; seal the side and the ends.
- Place strips seam-side down, side by side, on greased baking sheet. Pinch together at one end and braid strips. Pinch end to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise in warm place till nearly double, about 30 minutes. Brush with remaining egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- Yields: 1 Braid (about 20 servings)