Bohemian Rye Bread
A soft, mild light rye bread with a hint of licorice.
This recipe makes 1 loaf
This recipe makes 1 loaf
- ⅔ cup, plus 1 TBSP Water
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 1+1/3 cup Bread Flour
- 1 cup Medium Rye Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1+1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
Bread Machine Method
- All ingredients should be at room temperature. Place ingredients in the pan in the order listed. Select “Basic” or “White Bread” cycle and medium/normal crust. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. Remove bread when cycle is finished; cool. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
- Combine 1 cup bread flour, yeast, sugar, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, and salt. Combine liquid ingredients and heat to 120° to 130°F.
- Hand-Held Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand, stir in rye flour and enough of the remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use additional bread flour if necessary.
Stand Mixer Method
- Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add rye flour and enough of the remaining bread flour to form a firm dough. Knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Food Processor Method
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Put dry mixture in processing bowl with steel blade. While the motor is running, add liquid ingredients. Process until mixed. Continue processing, gradually adding rye flour and enough of the remaining bread flour until dough forms a ball.
Rising, Shaping, and Baking
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Shape into round loaf. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching. If desired, slash top 2 or 3 times with very sharp knife in a decorative pattern and brush with slightly beaten egg white. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool before slicing.
- You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use ½ tsp Instant yeast (or ¾ tsp Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 100 Total Fat: 1.5g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 200mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg